The Australian Industrial Ecology Network is pleased to invite you to join us for the 7th Australian Industrial Ecology Conference to be held from 19 to 21 September 2018 at the Rydges Parramatta.
The theme for the conference – Connecting manufacturers, recyclers and consumers – aims to create a dialogue amongst all stakeholders in the materials supply chain, showcase and promote industrial ecology projects and inspire further innovation in Australia.
This conference series promotes the practice of industrial ecology (IE) in Australia. Each event provides a stimulating forum in which ideas and opportunities can be presented and discussed. Conference presentations are focused on practical outcomes and solutions for managing wastes. On this occasion, the focus will be upon packaging materials. Creation of local markets for recovered packaging materials is critical given recent policy changes which is now preventing the export of recovered packaging materials for further processing and recycling in China.
Recognised experts both domestically and internationally, in the fields of packaging, marketing, manufacturing, resource recycling and reuse will be key speakers at the conference. The 2018 event will continue to provide those wanting to get a clearer picture of the issues a unique opportunity to tour large facilities that are profitably recovering and reusing materials.
Call for Papers
The Program Committee is now inviting submissions for presentations addressing a number of key topics, outlined below. Other topics may be considered at the committee’s discretion.
- What can we do where public policy has failed? And what can we learn from past failings?
- Packaging waste from the consumer’s perspective.
- Appropriate responses to the Chinese National Sword policy.
- How to we develop local markets for recovered materials that manufacturer’s want?
- How do we secure and allocate the funding to build local markets for recovered materials?
- IE Solutions to the soft plastics issue.
- Our current packaging keeps us safe but at what cost? The harsh environmental truths!
- Can we continue to use the things we use every day? What changes need to occur in our consumption patterns including behaviours and product design aspects?
- The resource recovery sector’s perspective on the challenges created by certain products and packaging materials.
- What is the role of the Brands, both now and into the future?
- The manufacturers/Brands perspective on the current limitations of the post-consumer resource recovery options.
- The role of Product Stewardship programs.
- Building our local recycling and manufacturing industry for the future.
- Facilitating local sorting and manufacturing to avoid long haul transport.
- Life Cycle Assessment as an essential tool to inform IE solutions – case studies.
- Revisiting the existing risk/reward structures in current post consumer collection and resource recovery systems. How should public policy be guided?
- Informing all stakeholders in the supply chain
The closing date for submission of abstracts is 8 June 2018.
Abstract Submission Instructions
All Abstracts must be submitted online. If you are unable to submit using the online form please contact the Conference Secretariat for further information (phone 0400 449 100 or email email@example.com). Receipt of abstracts will be acknowledged by email within 2 working days.
Abstracts should be no more than 400 words in length. There is no fee to submit an abstract.
All submitting authors will be asked to confirm the following statements:
- I confirm that each co-author, if any, has been informed of this submission and has agreed to all the information provided by me.
- I consent to publication of all or part of the abstract in materials relating to the Conference, including but not limited to the program, advertising, social media and email promotions.
- I confirm that this abstract is original work and as the principal author, I am responsible for the accuracy of the abstract.
- I understand that the invitation to submit an abstract does not constitute an offer by the AIEN or sponsors of the Conference to pay travel, accommodation or registration costs associated with the event.
- I understand that no fee will be paid for a presentation. If my abstract is accepted, I agree to register for the Conference no later than 31 July 2018 and will pay a discounted registration fee in recognition of my contribution. I understand that failure to register by the due date may result in my presentation being withdrawn from the program.
Before you begin the abstract submission process, please be sure to have the following information available to copy and paste or upload with your submission.
- Presenter and Co-Presenter contact details, title and organisation
- Presenter and Co-Presenter Biographies (we recommend no more than 80 words per biography)
- Presenter and Co-Presenter Photograph (optional)
- Presentation Title
- 50-word Presentation Synopsis
- Abstract (Up to 400 words of text)
Review and Acceptance
Abstracts will be reviewed by the Program Committee and evaluated, according to the following criteria:
- Quality of Content
- Significance in its context
- Relevance to the topic
Case studies and presentations detailing actual experiences and outcomes will be highly regarded. Promotion of a commercial product or service is not permitted.
The decision of the Program Committee is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
The person nominated in the submission as the principal contact (the contact) will be advised of the Program Committee’s decision by email in June 2018. Please note that all correspondence relating to the submission will be directed only to the contact, and they should, in turn distribute to any co-presenters.
The contact will be notified by 29 June 2018 of the day and time allocated for the presentation. The contact must confirm acceptance of the offer within two weeks from the date of notification.
The invitation to submit an abstract does not constitute an offer to pay travel, accommodation or registration costs associated with the Forum. Similarly, no presenter fee is paid to successful participants.
All accepted presentations will be published in the Australian Industrial Ecology Conference 2018 Proceedings.
Abstract submission closes 8 June 2018
Notification to authors 29 June 2018
Author’s acceptance of offer 6 July 2018
Speaker’s registration deadline 31 July 2018